Title: Fairy Tale Confession
Authors: 14 Bestelling authors including Amy Daws and Sarah J. Pepper
Publisher: Amber Leaf Publishing
Pub Date: October 1st 2015
Source: Blog Tour @ Enticing Journey Book Promoting
Rating: 4/5 stars
Hey guys! Today I am reviewing Fairy Tale Confessions
I was so excited to receive and review this book. One because I love retelling and I was so excited to see all of the amazing ladies spin on the tales I grew up with. Secondly two of my favorite authors wrote a story for this anthology and I couldn’t wait to get the chance to read them.
I came into this anthology with no knowledge about the other authors in this anthology in hopes that I would like their short stories and come out with some new books to read. Not surprisingly I have found a lot of really interesting authors to read from in the future.
Now back to this anthology. The majority of the stories are romance heavy with happy endings but there are also a few more horror driven stories. I think it was about 4 horror stories included. I really enjoyed the variety of stories and the fact that not all of the stories followed the same arc. There is at least one story in here for everyone.
When it comes to retellings I can be really picky about them. To me it’s so important to be able to recognize the original story inside the retellings. Seeing the most important moments and symbolism still present while giving the story a new twist. You know the moments that define the story for you. Cinderella’s glass slipper or Belle’s Beast for instance.
With that being said I really felt all of the retellings treated the stories we all know really well. I was able to easily identify the stories and see the strands of the originals stories in all of the stories I read. Be it a Cinderella retelling titled Rell by Amy Daws or a really unique twist on Rumpelstiltskin.
To me the perfect short story is one that closes the story without leaving anything unsolved but yet makes you wish the story was a book or a series. Developing a full engrossing story in such a short amount of pages is so difficult but the ladies of this anthology did it so well. Each and every story resolved nicely at a great point but left me wanting more in the best kind of way. The kind where you just really want to keep reading and reading because you can’t get enough of the world they built.
I decided to list the stories and tell you a little about what I thought of them individually.
- Unlocked by Wendy Owens– A Red Riding Hood retelling. This is one of my favs in the collection it would be really cool to be in this world longer. So much could happen here. Lots of action and suspense Loved it!
- Blayze & Ash by Jessica Sorenson – Beauty and the Beast retelling! This is my favorite Disney story so I was really worried but it was really enjoyable. I really liked the end result in this one as well as the beast aspect it was different than what we are used to.
- The Little Mermaid by K.R. Wilburn – This one was really interesting the story was twisted from the story we all know and I really liked that. I liked the twists a lot. However I felt a little more explaning was need at one point of the story it got a little muddled and needed more explaining to be fully understood.
- Dance with Me by Tish Thawer ~ 12 Princesses. I dont actually know much about this story before reading this other than when I was little and watched the Barbie movie. However I thought the story was good. I felt a lot of information was added to the story towards the end and it was nice but if it was longer and the story was given more pages to expand and grow that it would be an even better story.
- Awakened by Kristen Strassel ~ Sleeping Beauty This one was completely unexpected for me. I wasn’t expecting this twist on the story at all before hand but it made such great sense that I can’t believe i didn’t think of it before now. It was really interesting I liked it.
- Priceless by Sarah J. Pepper ~ Rumplestiltskin Ok so I loved this one! This is the first of Sarah’s works that I’ve read as a solo author and I adored it. I Need to pick up some of her longer works like last week! I loved this story it would be so awesome if it was expanded as well loved totally recommend.
- The Snow Queen by Shannon Morton – This was really interesting and one of the darker less happy stories in the book and I really liked it. I’ve never read the original but I am really interested in someday actually getting to it! Really enjoyed this one.
- Caged by LP Dover ~ Rapunzel This was a really great romance I really liked it. It had betrayel, heartache, love, and so much cuteness.
- Puss in Boots by Brynn Myers– I really wanted to love this but I ended up just liking it. I liked the concept and where it was going until the main’s secret was revealed or her gift. It just wasn’t what I was expecting and made it meh for me. This is also on the dark side.
- Rell by Amy Daws ~ Cinderella I’ll be the first to admit that I picked up this book because I knew Amy had a story in it and I LOVE her. Needless to say I loved this retellling it was just perfect! I loved the modern feel of the story as well as Rell. Her character was just delightful.
- Casting Crowns and Other Curious Things by Elizabeth Montgomery ~ Alice in Wonderland – Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite stories ever so I was really excited for this one. I really enjoyed it there was a great twist I didn’t catch until it was Bam in my face. I really enjoyed it. It would be so amazing as a longer story.
- Hansel & Gretel by Cameo Renae – I liked this it was really different than what I was expecting but it made since to put it in the world. I just learned that it takes place in the same world as her novel lengthen books. Which was really interesting I’m really interested in seeing the rest of the world in her full length books.
- Real Boy by Kellie Sheridan ~ Pinocchio– OMG this reminds me of one of my favorite Mangas at least the premise does and I really enjoyed it. It was both creepy and interesting. I just wish there was more.
- Jaclyn and the Beanstalk by M. Clarke this one wasn’t my favorite in the collection. Not because it wasn’t good but because it felt like it needed more time and pages to develop the story and the plot. It kinda read like it was possible for more of the story to come later and I would 100% be into that in the future.
My favorites was Rell and Priceless
Alright so that all for this anthology it was really enjoyable for me. I recommend it to any one to pick up it was just so much fun to read. I found so many new authors I want to try out now because of it and I’m really excited.